A steam and water analysis system (SWAS) conditions, analyzes and monitors the chemical properties of the steam and water used to generate electricity. A well-designed SWAS maximizes efficiency and output while also protecting plant assets, operators and the environment.
The technical design specification (specs) is the first step in designing a SWAS that operates accurately, reliably and safely under specific fossil power plant conditions. Vibration, wear, corrosion or other performance issues are addressed within the specs – or should be. However, there are nine common mistakes engineers inadvertently make while creating SWAS specs that lead to issues in your fossil power plant:
- Overspecifying, meaning sending unnecessary or ancillary information not related to the SWAS
- Underspecifying, meaning providing too little detail about the equipment needed for optimal SWAS operation
- Not providing tubing size within the plant
- Not specifying the sample conditioning equipment for maximum operation and function
- Not identifying the available utilities
- Not specifying the materials requirements
- Not specifying what’s not wanted
- Not specifying the layout and location of the system
- Not specifying your preferred analyzer brands and sequencing
Awareness is key in avoiding these mistakes, as is having critical knowledge at your fingertips.
That’s why we’ve developed our new eBook, 9 Mistakes to Avoid in Your SWAS Specs. In it you’ll find in-depth discussion about each of the common SWAS specs challenges and ways to overcome them, plus expert tips on:
- Accurately specifying a SWAS based on type of plant, space constraints and unique facility features
- Ensuring the SWAS is dependable, and easy to operate and maintain
- Keeping up-to-date SWAS specs readily available for current and future projects
- Staying ahead of the latest SWAS technologies and best practices
This handy resource and its printable Recommended Systems Components Checklist is sure to be your go-to guide for creating the perfect SWAS specs for fossil power plants every time, and it’s available at absolutely no cost. Download your free copy of 9 Mistakes to Avoid in Your SWAS Specs now by clicking the button below.